Why Study Abroad?: How Costa Rica Will Impact Me and My Future Career

 I admit, I was that student who thought, "Study abroad? No way, that's just for people who study international relations or a second language or whatever." Yeah, needless to say, I was very wrong. 

I originally chose to study abroad during my sophomore year after visiting my counselor for a completely unrelated topic. While planning out the rest of my classes, my counselor asked if I had considered adding a minor since I had some extra room in my schedule. I immediately knew that Spanish was right for me since I already took two Spanish classes, which I really enjoyed. Two weeks after adding my Spanish minor, I stumbled across a study abroad fair held in the NAU Honors College. I chatted with the study abroad advisor from Latin America, Mikaela Terry, who described the program and all of its amazing benefits. I scheduled a one-on-one appointment with her the following week, and the rest is history! 

    Of course, learning Spanish is the primary reason to study abroad in Costa Rica. Personally, as a Secondary Education major, I believe that being bilingual will help me in my future career as a high school teacher. Not only will I be able to teach Spanish to students whose first language is English, but I also have to opportunity to teach English to people whose primary language is Spanish. In other words, by being bilingual, I can teach twice as many students, which means I have more job opportunities. 

    Studying abroad not only helps me improve my Spanish skills, but it provides me with more independence and the opportunity to interact with and experience a different culture. While going to a completely different country might sound daunting, the NAU staff are always nearby and available to help in any way needed. Even during a pandemic, I have felt safe and happy here in Costa Rica. (For more information about COVID-19 in Costa Rica, visit my post "COVID-19: How Ticans Tackle the Pandemic.") This program has introduced me to a different way of life, which has not only been thrilling and exciting, but it also allows me to question how and why I live the way that I do and what I want my future to look like. 

    Overall, I have been so thankful that I chose to study abroad. This experience has been so much better than I could have even imagined! To anyone on the fence about the issue, as someone who has been where you are, go for it!

 ¡Pura Vida!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Native Fruits of Costa Rica

Classes and Homework

Pre-Travel: What You Need to Know