Getting There: Packing and Traveling Info.


 This post is dedicated to general information about the traveling process and what it was like to arrive in Costa Rica. I have included tips throughout that should help prepare you for your journey. 

    Be sure to pack light. For me, the hardest factor while packing was the weight of my suitcase. The airline required that checked bags be 50 pounds or less and carry-ons be 20 pounds or less. While 70 pounds total might sound like a lot, it goes by quickly when you're packing for three months. I suggest packing only the things you use on a daily basis, and keep in mind that you can buy some things, like certain toiletries, after you arrive in Costa Rica.

    Find a reliable and fairly-priced airline. I chose to use American Airlines, which worked out fairly well. Due to the pandemic, I did not have very many options since only a handful of airlines had available flights from Phoenix to San José on the available dates. Before going through customs, you'll have to have proof of a plane ticket, bus stub, or other way that you plan to leave Costa Rica. This is because you will likely be on a traveler's visa, which expires in 90 days, so you will need documentation that you plan to leave the country within that timeframe. For me, I purchased a round-trip plane ticket, which worked without any issues. 

    Don't stress about what happens after you arrive. An NAU staff member will pick you up from the airport and drive you to the place where you will be staying. There will probably be people trying to offer you taxi rides or rental cars in the airport, but a friendly "no gracias" will do the trick. Once you meet up with the NAU staff member, who will be in NAU attire with a sign, you can relax. I remember that I was full of nerves and excitement, but I was also exhausted. That first night consisted of greetings, a late dinner, and going straight to bed. I guarantee that you'll probably be very tired upon arrival, and that's to be expected. Rest up and leave exploring for the next day! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Native Fruits of Costa Rica

Classes and Homework

Pre-Travel: What You Need to Know