Life of a Tico: Interview with a Local

 For my interview with a local, I decided to interview Sergio, the chef and housekeeper of ABC de la Vida. Over our three months here in Costa Rica, Sergio (aka. "Flaco," which means "thin") has been like a parent to us. He is always available to talk to or play dominos with. 

    One of my favorite activities to do is to cook with Flaco. He has taught me over ten different Costa Rican and Salvadorian recipes, including patacones, pupusas, gallo pinto, and more. (For more information about Costa Rican food, read my posts titled "Gallo Pinto: the National Dish of Costa Rica" and "Food, Food, Food!") Flaco is a fantastic chef, and he puts a lot of time and care into his food. I especially love how he uses natural and organic ingredients from his garden and/or the local fruit market. For instance, while most of us in the United States buy our eggs from the grocery store, Flaco collects fresh eggs from the chicken coops every morning. Most of the food that we eat comes from right here on the property of ABC de la Vida, which is inspiring. It allowed me to realize just how much junk food I buy and really analyze where my food comes from. 

   



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Native Fruits of Costa Rica

Classes and Homework

Pre-Travel: What You Need to Know