Returning to the U.S.

 After three months abroad, it can be difficult to return to life in the states. I have been back home for about two weeks now, and there is still the occasional thing that takes some getting used to again. 



    As soon as the plane landed in Dallas, Texas, I could immediately feel a shift in energy. While Costa Rican culture tends to be laid back and very go-with-the-flow, I think we all know that the culture of the U.S. is almost always fast-paced and sometimes stressful. It took me about 4-5 days to adjust back to this different way of viewing time. 

    Although no one in my household speaks Spanish, I do still find myself thinking and speaking in Spanish at least once or twice a day. While this can be slightly annoying at times, I don't see it as a problem. My brain changed while abroad, and my Spanish skills are something to be proud of. 


    While it might sound silly, slight cultural changes can trip you up sometimes, and that's okay. For instance, it has been difficult to remember to actually flush toilet paper down the toilet now instead of putting it in the trashcan. (See more about how Costa Rican bathrooms are different than restrooms in the U.S. by reading my post "The Hardest Thing to Get Used to: Toilet Paper.") Similarly, not saying "bien provecho" before every meal has been another adjustment for me lately. 

    At the end of the day, it's important to remember that although these differences might be annoying or make you miss Costa Rica, these are the things that make this experience so incredible, and your success in adapting to Costa Rican culture demonstrates just how much you learned and grew while abroad. 


   This semester has been absolutely amazing, and I cannot thank the NAU Program Staff and CIE enough for making it possible. Special thanks to Flaco and Ro, who opened their home to us and made us feel like family. I cannot express how life-changing this opportunity has been, and I can't wait to return to Costa Rica very soon!!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Native Fruits of Costa Rica

Classes and Homework

Pre-Travel: What You Need to Know